Month: June 2016

Stress and Statistics

Time has flown by! We’ve now been married for seven months and we have packed everything other than what we will be taking with us. Have I put all of my winter clothes away because I am aware that for at least another two years I will not need them? Yes. Is my infamous blue coat still hanging on our closet door in case I need it in the middle of the summer? You bet it is. If you know us personally, by this point you probably realize that this is Leslie writing.

Are we excited? Very! Are we nervous? Oh, you know, a fair amount, considering that we are moving in less than a month. We have so many emotions at once that it’s hard to write them all down. Every two or three days one of us breaks down due to overwhelming emotion (Alex 5% of the time, the other 95% of the time it’s his other half, but we won’t mention names). It is seriously by God’s grace that we can be decent members of society right now and semi-function.

I finished the school year a month ago, so now I am officially unemployed in the States. Alex is still working at Starbucks until July 11th. Notice how I said I am not employed in the U.S.? That is very true! I’m no longer employed in Utah, but I am employed in the Dominican Republic! We got and accepted an offer in April and we could not be happier about that! We had been praying and applying for jobs for a few months. I had interviewed with some schools, but we were not convinced that any of them were a right fit for us (trust me, even if we didn’t think they were a right fit, if we had not gotten another offer we would have made it fit). We were looking for something outside the city, but only kept getting offers in the capital, Santo Domingo, where I am from. Let me give you an overview of Santo Domingo— oldest and, in my “humble” opinion, most beautiful European settlement and city in the Americas, fantastic colonial architecture, exciting nightlife, amazing restaurants, tons of traffic, and 3,263,053 people (density: 6,519 people / sq. mi) in 501 square miles. That’s 300k more people than the population of Utah in a space 0.005 (0.5%) times the size of Utah. In other words, too many people for us. You can imagine our relief and excitement when we got an offer from a school that is five miles away from the beautiful East Coast beaches in Punta Cana— population 44,000.

dominican_republic

It’s fun to write about having a job now that we are not stressed about figuring out how we’re going to make a living and about where we’re going to live, but let me tell you, the wait was hard. I don’t think I had ever applied for jobs so intently and waited so long to hear back from schools. It was stressful for both of us. It made me doubt my competency, my education, and my identity. I know it wasn’t fun for Alex either. God entrusted him with helping in keeping me sane. It’s a tough job, I tell you, but God has made him a good man. Alex would consistently pray for me and with me and remind me that I am not in this alone. That was a much needed reminder.

“Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)

Life is filled with constant change. I think change is there for a reason. Change reminds us of our limitations, our lack of sovereignty, and we do not enjoy that, to say the least. However, change also points us to the One who is Sovereign, Who is immanent, transcendent, and unlimited— the One with Whom we will be Home someday.  We’ve shed our fair share of tears and freaked out at each other more than once. We can honestly say that He’s the One sustaining us through all of the challenges and changes. In Him we find our identity— and not the “identity” job hunts and lack of skills make us doubt— our true identity.

Till next time, if we make it out alive, in God’s grip,

Alex & Leslie a.k.a. The Hursts

Advertisements